Sunday, April 25, 2010

Money's Roll

So, I must say--money and I have had a really rough time staying friends. It seems that whenever I call on him he's gone--disappeared somewhere. Maybe hiding in a corner, but honestly, he's never there. I look.

Money disappears. I was watching a Michael Moore movie the other night with a friend, and well, it really got me thinking. He said that 1% of the American population has more money than the other 99% put together. There is something desperately wrong with that. There is no middle class anymore. The rich are extremely rich and everyone else is pretty much dyeing just to make it.

I was talking with a friend today and she was telling me about her family's financial situation. Her husband lost his job this year, his unemployment has not yet come through (although they've been waiting since January). Her son has to go to the doctor almost every two weeks. But mostly what broke my heart, was last night she was going to Wal Mart with (pretty much) her last ten dollars and she got in a wreck--totaling her car. If they don't pay their power bill in the next two weeks it will get turned off. They haven't paid a mortgage payment since January. They don't know how much longer they will be able to live there until they are kicked out (her, her husband, and her three children).

This was all too real to me. I dealt with a lot of this growing up. Power being turned off. Phones not working. Not enough gas to go anywhere, empty kitchen shelves. And honestly--it's not because my parents were bad people or because they were slack and stayed home all the time. My parent were out working till all hours of the night. My dad still works almost every day.

There is something terribly wrong with the system of American when 1% of the population is swindling the rest of the population out of money to even survive. What happened to the pursuit of happiness? One can't pursue happiness if working more than 40 hours a week won't even keep the power on. Even the lowest paying jobs need to supply enough for people to function on.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that for some friggin CEO to have 188 BILLION dollars in his bank account and for my parents to being going in the red every other day, for the poor to have a 15% tax rate and some government officials and high end financial guys to have only 5%, something's got to change.

All that to say--I really hope I get a job soon because growing up is very very hard. I'm totally willing to work 2 or even 3 jobs if I can to get my finances caught up, whatever it takes. I just need the jobs. God, please, please, give me a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment